At St Joseph’s we believe that learning an additional language gives children an opportunity to broaden their horizons and provide them with an exciting social and cultural experience. Children from Years 2 – 6 learn Spanish, with a mixture of our native Spanish teacher and our MFL lead who lived and taught in Spain for two years.
Benefits of Learning a Second Language
- Through languages children can discover many other cultures and customs.
- Thinking in two languages enhances flexibility and multi-tasking across the wider curriculum.
- Communicating in different languages can open a whole world of opportunities.
- Children who are exposed to languages at an early age, find it easier to develop their linguistic skills.
At St. Joseph’s we focus on introducing language through active learning techniques, including songs, role play and games. Our aim is to build up pupils’ self-confidence when expressing themselves in a foreign language, whilst cultivating children’s enthusiasm and spontaneity. As children progress, key vocabulary will be reinforced, enabling children to develop their conversational skills and ask and answer more complicated questions. By the end of KS2, we aim to have enthusiastic pupils who have a solid language base in preparation for their learning in KS3.
We also run a weekly Spanish club for KS1 children to give them a taster of how fun and exciting learning another language can be.
Please see the curriculum overview for more information:
Home Learning Resources
- https://bilingualkidspot.com/2019/04/15/spanish-movies-for-kids-disney-netflix-amazon (films in Spanish with English subtitles)