Friday 3rd April 2020 – Religious Education Home Learning
As Holy Week commences with Palm Sunday (5th April), the following documents will give you some suggestions on things you could try at home to remember Jesus and this special time in the Catholic church. In each document, you will see ideas for both younger and older children, however please feel free to pick and choose from whichever you wish.
Home Learning Week 2 (30.03.20)
- Wk1_Day1_Mental addition and subtraction strategies
- Wk1_Day2_Written (vertical) subtraction-decomposition
- Wk1_Day3_Counting up to subtract-solve subtraction problems
- Wk1_Day4_Column addition of decimals
- Wk1_Day5_Counting up to find change and money differences
Covid – 19
Please click the link below for a suggested Daily Timetable while the school is closed.
Year 5 home Learning
- Year 5 Home Learning Pack
- Year 5 Home Learning Pack Guidance and Answers
- Year 5 Practical Ideas
- POWer Projects – Invaders 1
- POWer Projects – Invaders 2
Year 5 Spring Term Curriculum Overview
In Mathematics the children will consolidate their understanding of the written methods for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. They will be learning the columnar method for multiplication, and the bus stop method for division. The children will continue to work with fractions and decimals. They will consolidate their understanding of shape and space and will continue to draw and interpret line graphs. Children will also be introduced to Roman Numerals.
In English children will present work individually and in groups, orally and in writing. Story writing, non-fiction writing, poetry, punctuation, grammar and spelling will continue to be developed, as will reading. The children will be looking at mystery and suspense writing with a focus on Penny Ho-Yen. Additionally, we will be looking at current affairs as part of the Young Speaker Challenge.
In History and Geography, we will be looking at Mexico and the Mayans. The children will use atlases, pictures and the internet to learn more about the physical and human geography. In History, the children will begin to understand the role of an archaeologist to piece together information and create a picture of the past. In Art and Design, they will create their own Mayan celebration masks.
In Science, for the first half term children will be learning about ‘Properties and changes’, investigating the properties of materials and as well as dissolving, separating materials and irreversible changes. For the second half term, children will be learning about ‘forces’. We will explore balanced and unbalanced forces, gravity, friction and the use of mechanisms.
Children will need a PE kit each week for outdoor games. There will be a focus on invasion games.
In P.S.H.E. children will learn the importance of staying safe on the internet and learn how to deal with friendship issues and team work.
In Music children will continue to learn the violin. The learning will conclude with a concert for parents towards the end of the term.
Please remember that this is just a brief outline of this term’s plans and does not include everything the children will be doing.
- St Joseph’s Stations of the Cross March 19, 2020
- Homework February 28, 2020
- Pancake crazy! February 25, 2020
- Livin’ like a Maya! January 29, 2020
- Meet the Mayans… January 17, 2020
- Stick it to the man! November 15, 2019
- St Joseph’s The Musical! October 18, 2019
- Tanzanite Class Assembly September 27, 2019
- Welcome Back! September 16, 2019
- Indigo LEARNING POWERS stars of the week! September 13, 2019