We aim to inspire and stimulate children’s creativity and imagination through Art & Design.
Click here for an overview:
Please see our EYFS page for our Nursery and Reception curriculum information.
In art and design at St Joseph’s we inspire and stimulate children’s creativity and imagination with a varied and creative art curriculum where children can experiment and create their own works of art inspired by great artists and designers of history. We also encourage the children to explore the visual elements of art, using a variety of materials.
Through a creative and innovative curriculum the children can engage in ideas, develop new skills, expand their knowledge and increase their vocabulary.
Art is a wonderful way to improve learning about the world and themselves. We want the children to grow in confidence and improve their wellbeing and learning.
Key stage 1
Pupils are taught:
-to use a range of materials creatively to design and make products -to use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination
-to develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space
- about the work of a range of artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work.
- Key stage 2
- Pupils are taught:
- to develop their techniques, including their control and their use of materials, with creativity, experimentation and an increasing awareness of different kinds of art, craft and design.
- to create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas
- to improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials (for example, pencil, charcoal, paint, clay)
- about great artists, architects and designers in history.