The school SENDco is Mrs Noronha and if you have any concerns of questions regarding your child’s specific needs please contact Mrs Noronha via the school office email firstname.lastname@example.org or calling the school office.
This policy builds on our over-arching Catholic principles of social inclusion, which recognise the entitlement of all pupils to a balanced, broadly based curriculum, matched to individual needs, allowing and encouraging individuals to achieve their best. Our SEN policy reinforces the need for ‘Quality First Teaching’ that is fully inclusive.
Aims and Objectives
This policy accepts the definition of SEN as set out in the SEN Code of Practice. It reflects the new approach to and arrangements for SEN outlined in the Children and Families Act 2014.
The Governing Body and teaching staff will do their best to ensure that the necessary provision is made for any pupil who has special educational needs and/or disabilities. Where the Headteacher or the appropriate governor has been informed that a child has SEND, those needs will be made known to all who are likely to teach them.
All staff and governors in the school are aware of the importance of identifying and providing for children who have SEND. The Headteacher, staff and governors will draw up and report annually to parents on the policy and effectiveness of the school’s work for pupils with SEND.
All staff will ensure children with SEND can join in the activities of the school together with pupils who do not have SEND, so far as that is reasonably practical and compatible with the pupil receiving the necessary special educational provision, the efficient education of other children in the school and the efficient use of resources.
Find information, advice and services for Islington children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND)
Information about local support in Islington is called The Local Offer and is located here: Islington children and families send local offer
The Family Information Service – 020 7527 5959
Gives free impartial information, advice and guidance about services for children, young people and families.
The Special Educational Needs Community Support Service (SENDIAS)
is based at Family Action, Northern Health Centre, 580 Holloway Rd, Islington, London N7 6LB:
Offers a range of services to assist the parents/carers of children with SEND. These include:
• Advice, information and support on Education, health and social care issues
• Support to express your views and wishes
• Support at meetings with schools and the Local Authority
• Help to complete SEN and Disability related paper work
• Supporting young people up to 25 in their own right
• Signposting to other services
Tel no 0203 316 1930
The school cooperates with the Local Authorities in the local area to:
– make families aware of the kind of support available to them and where to find the Local Offer
– help people access the Local Offer information, especially where there are barriers to them accessing it. This can include helping them to access the internet, printing off pages, explaining , interpreting and consult children and young people and their families directly in preparing and reviewing the Local Offer- keeping the Local Offer information up to date and identifying gaps in provision
To find out more about the range of services on offer locally go to:
Islington Local Offer: www.islington.gov.uk/localoffer
Camden Local Offer: www.localoffer.camden.gov.uk
Hackney’s Local Offer: www.hackneylocaloffer.co.uk
Haringey Local Offer: https://www.haringey.gov.uk/children-and-families/local-offer